Tuesday, December 21

Do I cry?

Cry: to weep; shed tears, with or without sound; to call loudly; to demand resolution or strongly indicate a particular disposition
  
If that's what cry means that what do I really cry for?  What do I weep for, call loudly to God for and demand resolution for?


Do I weep for the child whose feet never cut because they are so hardened to the ground because they have no concept of what shoes are?
Or do I not even think to think about that while I go about my daily activities in my favorite sandals?


Do I shed tears for the 5 year old boy who will sleep under the streets of Moscow next to pipes for warmth?
Or do I complain when the sunny Florida temperatures drop below 50 and I have to turn on the heat?


Do I beg for someone to rescue the 8 year old girl who has been sold into human trafficking with a man 5 times her age?
Or do I flip the channel so I don't have to hear the story again?


Do I call out to God for the child who has bounced around in foster care their whole life and can't even begin to understand what love means, and even more what unconditional love of a savior would mean?
Or do I continue to fight with my bitterness towards someone because I don't feel like showing them love again?


Does my heart scream out prayers to God for the boy who has been taken captive as a child soldier because both parents have been lost to Aids?
Or do I spend more time watching my favorite TV show than I ever will thinking of them?


Do I disssolve in tears for the child who is sniffing glue right now so that they might feel full because they do not know whether they will eat today?
Or do I care more about utilizing my lunch break to be able to go to that specific restaurant?


Does my heart break for the special needs orphan that is tied down to a bed right now because there are not enough workers to watch her?
Or do I complain about how my life is too busy to have "me time"?

Do I spend time really greiving for and praying for the child who will never have a family because we won't open our homes?
Or do I spend more time following my friends Facebook feeds about their families?


Do I really care more about the orphan, the fatherless, the widow, the soujourner, the hungry, the poor, the downtrodden, the afficted, the weak?  Do I really care more about Jesus?
Or do I care more about my time, my job, my money, my car, my food, my friends, my family, my "knowledge", my fun, my life.


Do I really cry for the orphan?
Or do I care more about myself?


Matthew 25: 31-45 The Message Version
"When he finally arrives, blazing in beauty and all his angels with him, the Son of Man will take his place on his glorious throne. Then all the nations will be arranged before him and he will sort the people out, much as a shepherd sorts out sheep and goats, putting sheep to his right and goats to his left.  "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why:  I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.'  "Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'  "Then he will turn to the 'goats,' the ones on his left, and say, 'Get out, worthless goats! You're good for nothing but the fires of hell. And why? Because - I was hungry and you gave me no meal, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was homeless and you gave me no bed, I was shivering and you gave me no clothes, Sick and in prison, and you never visited.'  "Then those 'goats' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or homeless or shivering or sick or in prison and didn't help?'  "He will answer them, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you failed to do one of these things to someone who was being overlooked or ignored, that was me—you failed to do it to me.'



When Jesus was in the garden and He was praying so hard that He sweat drops of blood do you think He left these children out?  Do you think He was just praying for me and you?  Why did He mention them so much?  Why do I (and most of American Christians) feel it is an "optional calling" to help the orphan?  Why do I take His commands as suggestions?  Why do I elevate my desires above His desires?


This Christmas will I forget about them?  Will I spend all my time consumed in Christmas presents, food and fun or will I remember the orphan?  When I'm going to sleep on Christmas eve will I dream about the fun times tomorrow or will I dream of the child who has no tomorrow?


The conviction is unsettling...



No comments:

Post a Comment