Wednesday, December 29

An answer to prayers on Christmas

One of the things that always surprises me about God is how He hears everything we say or think in our hearts. Even when it isn’t our typically worded prayer asking for something. It really shouldn’t surprise me at all but it always does. I wrote a blog last Tuesday after I had read another friends blog. During this time I was just really convicted about what things I spent most of my time thinking about. I’m constantly surprised at how easy it is to become so selfish and only think of ourselves. We seem to easily forget the hungry, poor, hurting and orphans, and I am probably one of the guiltiest of this. How often do I really go about my everyday remembering to pray for others and think of them rather than thinking of the next thing I’m going to do for myself? Unfortunately I would have to say not often. However, last week I was so convicted that I might forget the orphans during the holidays. I even wrote a blog about it. I suspected that maybe I’d remember them briefly during the holidays because I was so convicted about it but I had no idea the way God would answer this plea from my heart.

Christmas around Shale and I typically takes place like this. The day before Christmas we go to my parents house. We stay the night there and celebrate Christmas with them and my sisters and their families early Christmas morning. Then later that afternoon we drive to Shale’s parents’ house and celebrate Christmas there with his family. This Christmas while we were opening presents with my family Shale got a phone call and immediately jumped up and went outside to answer it (I have to admit at the time I was thinking to myself that this was pretty rude). However after we finished presents with my family I was in the kitchen getting some coffee when Shale came in and told me that our friend Joe (name protected due to nature of missions work) in India had called. He was calling to wish us a merry Christmas and thank us for our friendship. He talked to Shale a while and then told him that the day before he had visited an orphanage. While he was talking to some of the kids he told them about me and how much God was growing a passion for orphans in my heart. The kids then said they wanted to stop what they were doing and pray for me! I couldn’t believe that!!! Here I was thousands of miles away wondering if I would even remember them on Christmas and they were praying for me!!!! These children who have absolutely nothing and no one in the middle of one of the most persecuted countries stopped what they were doing to pray for me just because I was starting to have a passion for them. Well as you can guess I didn’t forget the orphans this Christmas, actually I cried for them, on Christmas morning. I wept because in their simplicity of life somehow their love for me was demonstrated far more than mine for them, all because of a simple prayer.

This reminded me of a verse that I always think of when I remember orphans.
 

For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the LORD will take me in. Psalm 27:10
 

I always think of this verse because I imagine this is how an orphan must feel when they come to know Christ. Such a beautiful picture, but one that is quickly marred by this verse…
 

For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!" Romans 10:13-15
 

How will they know if we don’t go? How can we sit by and say we aren’t called to go? Do these verses not convict us enough? Are the words of Christ “go and make disciples” optional? How many more are out there that don’t even know to pray for anyone because they have no idea of a love like His? What is my part in all this? That’s the question I try to ask myself daily. Lord, may my heart never become hardened to those who do not know you. May I always be sensitive to the lost and hurting. May my heart and mouth constantly go and spread your love always, till I am unable to go for you anymore.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful picture of God at work! Isn't it great that even in the midst of our selfishness the Lord is there, loving us & gently reminding us of Himself & our true calling as believers? Thanks for the reminder, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete