Tuesday, April 20

Lord, break my heart for the things that break yours....


That is how this all started. With a simple prayer I had read off of a World Vision website. "Lord, break my heart for the things that break yours." I thought it was such an interesting way of praying to God that I decided I would start praying that prayer as often as I could think about it. I'd like to be able to say I prayed it daily but I would be lying if I said that. However, I did try to pray it as often as I could remember. Then I was talking to a friend about foster care and she told me of the lack of love that a lot of these children have. I then began Reaching Tampa’s Foster Care Prom and Homecoming Campaigns in an effort to connect to these girls. I thought this was something I was doing to help these girls and I had no idea that God would use it to help reveal to me the passions He had in store for me. As I began connecting with some of these girls and with other organizations that were interested in foster care ministries I also began to learn more and more about orphans as a whole.

I am one of those people who when I start to have an interest in something I want to dive head first and learn as much as I can. I decided in a situation like this where I was trying to make God the center of the focus, it was best to go to His word. I began to do a word study on the word “orphan” and was blown away by God’s love for this group of people. It’s not something that is mentioned or briefly touched on in a couple of chapters in the Bible but rather something that is frequently mentioned in both the Old and New testaments. At the same time I was reading these verses I was immensely convicted. You see I had never done anything for these children. I didn’t fully grasp why they were so important to God but the girl in me wanted to help them just because they were helpless children who had no one. I had no idea that God would end up laying an issue so heavily on my heart.

I’ve decided to start this blog as a way of sharing not only how God is teaching me about such a specific need but also to raise awareness. I know that for me I never realized the immense need of these children until lately. I can’t promise this will be a well written, consistent, or thought provoking blog; but I can promise that it will be an outpouring of my heart. I once had a friend tell me that “tears were overflow of passion”, if that is true than this is an issue that I am extremely passionate about. Thanks for reading and I pray that God would also break your heart for the things that break His.

Psalm 40:8 “I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment