Thursday, April 29

Honor or Comfort?

After once again coming across the verse Psalm 19:14 (Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.) God really laid it on my heart to do an in depth study of this chapter. Today I went through the first verse and immediately was convicted to not keep this to myself but to share it with others. I feel as if He has told me that I too need to share this with the next closest generation to me, so this is for you!

Psalm 19:1 ESV
The heavens declare the glory of God and the sky above proclaims His handiwork.

Pretty simple verse, right? That’s what I thought until I began to dig deeper.
The Hebrew word declare means to count, to number, to declare and to talk.
It is used several times throughout the bible but to better understand what the specific writer of Psalm 19 meant I stuck to the Psalms.

Psalm 2:7 I will surely tell of the decree of the Lord: He said to me “you are my son (daughter) today I have begotten you”.

Psalm 22:22 I will tell of your name to my brethren in the midst of the assembly I will praise you.


Psalm 66:16 Come and hear, all who fear God, and I will tell what he has done FOR MY SOUL.

The next half of the verse says that the sky above proclaims His handiwork.

The Hebrew word proclaims means to be conspicuous, to tell, to announce, to make known, to publish and to acknowledge.

Psalm 51:15 O Lord, open my lips, that my mouth may declare your praise.


Psalm 145:4 One generation shall praise your works to another and shall declare your mighty acts.


Psalm 71:17-18 O God, you have taught me from my youth, and I still declare your wondrous deeds. And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare your strength to this generation, your power to all who are to come.

So what are these things that even the heaven and sky proclaim but we seem to be so easy to brush off?

The Hebrew word for Work of His hands (Handiwork) means His deed, act, labor and achievement

Psalm 28:5 Because they do not regard the works of the Lord nor the deeds of his hands, he will tear them down and not build them up.


Psalm 33:15 He fashions the hearts of them all, He who understands all their works.

I don’t know about you but I was so blown away by the time I finished looking up these words. How much of a dishonor am I showing God by not proclaiming His glory. Not only am I not declaring what He has done for my soul, but there are even times when I don’t feel like praising Him in the assembly. Have I really elevated my feelings and perceptions of a moment to somehow feel as if I am worthy of making a decision to praise Him or not? Have I forgotten that even if I don’t praise Him the heavens, sky, rocks, etc… will cry out His praises? Do I not realize the amazing privilege I have to come and praise before the one who created everything and the one who rescued me from who I could have been? Even more so what am I showing the next generation. If I am not one sold out to God who is willing to give up everything for Him (Luke 5) who will show others that kind of abandonment for God? If I am unwilling to give up my stability, comforts, finances, friends, and more for God then who will show the next generation? As a woman if I cannot represent this bringing glory to God will I ever be the Proverbs 31 (opens her mouth with wisdom) or Titus 2 (teach and train younger women) woman or am I settling for modern day mediocrity where the comforts of my world choke out my ability to bring Him glory?


Lord God, you have taught me from my youth, and I still declare your wondrous deeds. And even when I am old and gray, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare your strength to this generation, your power to all who are to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment